Have you considered using essential oils when it comes to maintaining a healthy gut? Our guest blogger and essential-oils devotee—Kate Backhouse—discusses how essential oils can be used to keep your gut happy.
Why is gut health important?
Do you suffer from reflux, bloating, nausea, indigestion, gas, or irritable bowel syndrome? Gut health is such an important part of everyone’s health. Your digestion is responsible for nutrient absorption, elimination, detoxification, immune regulation, immune support, mood, hormone metabolism, and energy production. Your gut plays an important role in your overall health & hormones.
Signs that you have an unhappy gut
- Foggy head
- Itchy skin, rashes
- Digestive problems
- Poor sleep
How can plant essential oils help?
When the gastrointestinal system isn’t working efficiently, many of our body’s systems are affected. Essential oils are 50-70 percent more potent than herbs. In gut health, they work by killing the bad bacteria and healing and protecting the digestive tract.
Five essential oils for gut health
Kate’s top-five essential oils for digestion & gut health are:
- Lavender – Supports our central nervous system, which is indirectly connected to our digestive system (fight & flight response).
- Oregano – Killing fungi, bacteria, viruses, and parasites living in your gut.
- Lemon – Detoxification & liver support, soothing & restoring the digestive system.
- Digest Zen (a Doterra proprietary blend) – Gastro, SIBO, nausea, vomiting, tummy pain, gas, constipation, bloating, indigestion, heartburn, IBS Support. Maintains optimal gut health long term.
- Peppermint – Digestion & bloating, stimulates the digestion processes.
These gut-friendly oils can be used topically (remember to dilute safely with an appropriate carrier oil) and aromatically, which can have amazing results for gut health, combined with good nutrition, exercise, and sufficient sleep. Why not make essentials oils part of your everyday self-care for overall wellbeing and long-term health?
* This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
* Never ingest essential oils unless you are under the guidance of a fully qualified professional.