We partner with Research Nutrition to provide functional testing for SIBO. It’s simple, and non-invasive.
What is SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)?
Normally, bacteria are found in the trillions in the LARGE INTESTINE, where they perform various symbiotic functions for the human body. SIBO is a condition where bacterial overgrowth occurs in the absorptive area of the body, i.e. the small intestine.
- The breath test is a simple, non-invasive test. After a 24-hour preparatory diet, the lactulose (or glucose or fructose) test substrate is swallowed.
- Lactulose is not absorbed, and therefore may act as a food source for bacteria, if present, in the small intestine.
- The bacteria may ferment the lingering substances and produce hydrogen, methane, or both. These gasses may then be diffused into the bloodstream and exhaled via the breath.
- Breath samples are collected every 20 minutes for 3 hours.
- All tests use machines from QuinTron, the original manufacturer of BreathTracker, to measure both hydrogen and methane in a single sample of breath (alveolar air).
- Extensive quality control, including carbon-dioxide measurements to assure an acceptable alveolar air sample, comply with the highest standards of analytical excellence.
What SIBO functional tests are available?
SIBO basic (lactulose only)
SIBO advanced (lactulose, glucose)
SIBO comprehensive (lactulose, glucose, fructose)
FRUCTOSE MALABSORPTION (fructose only)